Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryan Curl <bc3910@yahoo.com>
To:        RichardH <richardh@wsonline.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager Conversion

--0-1253969822-1020183813=:68955

 That's exactly what I was attempting to do. All three OS's are on seperate drives. My win98 drive has an MBR. My mandrake boots from a floppy using Lilo. My FreeBSD drive has an MBR so I currently have to swap the win98 with the BSD drive as required.
I tried to simply put an entry in Lilo for the BSD drive but have not had good success defining the "boot=<partition/kernel>" variable. Perhaps there is a table entry somewhere on the floppy and the set up needs to be similar to the win98 entry, I don't know.
My goal is to have Primary Master=Win98(w/MBR), Primary Slave=Mandrake, Secondary Master=Toshiba CD-RW/DVD, Secondary Slave=FreeBSD. Normally boots to Win98, thus leaving its MBR clean, but if I insert my Boot Floppy, I can select Mandrake or FreeBSD from Lilo prompt. As soon as I get all critial functions off Mandrake, and onto FreeBSD, the drive will wiped and put to use for another project. Until then I want to be able to tripple boot without having to swap IDE controller cables.
  RichardH <richardh@wsonline.net> wrote: Last year I was triple booting 98/BSD/Slackware, all I did was write the BSD partition to the Lilo bootloader that Slackware used. Was the easiest solution. I don't recall exactly what the entries were but it was only about 4-5 lines. If you have Lilo installed with all 3 OS's on the hard drive and it is already dual booting Win98 and Linux then you can just look at those entries and you should be able to figure out what entries BSD needs with a little playing around. Then you should be able to copy that Lilo config to a floppy and boot it. I am not sure at all if this will be the same with Mandrake as I have never used it since it is pretty much the Linux version of Windows but I know you can do it with Win98, BSD and Slack. Hope that helps. Richard Hutson