Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:24:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jin@george.lbl.gov
To:        inu@sby.centrin.net.id
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Canon BJC-210

> btw, I still got the problem on ASCII mode (stair case problem). I've
> tried to directly set up from printer BIOS and it works fine at BSD but
> it ruins printing at Linux system (both ASCII and postcript)
>
> So I set back its setting to default ... and there's no problem with
> your gs command, but stiil bad on ASCII. Would you send me your filter
> file for my BJC 210 ?

I don't have a BJC 210, so cannot tell what the driver is.
In general, the unix handles pure text and postscript printer well,
but not other type printers, like BJC 210.
You may take one more step to print ASCII on your BJC 210 printer;
that is, converting ASCII to postscript; then perform the ps printing
procedure.

I forget what is the command for doing ASCII to postscript conversion.
It is associated with "imprint" command in psutils package if My memory
is still correct. Would someone tell us what is the command?

If you could NOT find it, you may try to use "magicprint" we are using.
This is more powerful tools which can print images, text, and combine
them into a book. It is in the CCS package whcih is available at

	ftp://george.lbl.gov/pub/ccs/ccs-2.1.tgz

Read the README.* as you needed. CCS is a simgle command installation
package powered by ACS (AutoConfiguration System) which very easy for
dummys. You may install it by use default which builds everything in

	current-dir/ccs-lib.2.1/$ARCH/{bin, lib, man, ...}

When you are comfortable with it, you may change the DESTROOT, decribed
in README.ccs:223 and ACS/readme.acs, to wherever you want to.

	-Jin