Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@oreilly.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fast ethernet

  Hi all.  This problem has been bugging me for a while now, and I haven't
been able to make much headway on it.

I have a Compaq Deskpro running:
FreeBSD medic.east.ora.com 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #10: Thu Apr 13
13:23:08 EDT 2000     root@medic.ora.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/DRIVER  i386

  I'm using a 3com 3905 Fast Etherlink, with autoselect 10/100mbps, device
name xl0:

xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast x.x.x.x
        inet6 xx::250:4ff:xxx:c7a1%xl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        ether 00:50:xx:xx:xx:xx
        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 100baseTX <hw-loopback>

  Currently, I'm connected to a 10mbps hub, and my network connection
works fine.  However if I plug directly into a 100BaseTX port on our
switch, my connection slows to the point of being almost unusable--I can
hardly even use Pine.  It seems to be okay when there's very little data
packets going back and forth (such as the command prompt), but when hit
with anything sizable (like my inbox in Pine), it stalls and sits there
for a while.  FTPing stalls after the first 2k block or so.

  I also noticed messages in dmesg detailing a tx underrun when I made the
switch:

xl0: transmission error: 90
xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes
xl0: watchdog timeout

  I'd obviously prefer to run at 100mbps and get off the hub, but have hit
a brick wall with this problem.  Has anyone else seen this, or know of a
solution?

  Thanks!
 -Mike

---