Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 20:16:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.7 binaries and 2.1.5 system (fwd)

> I want to do a quick substitution of the 2.1.7 setuid programs
> (when 2.1.7 comes out) into my 2.1.5 system, as I don't have the
> time to do a full upgrade. Any caveats?

Oh, and before anyone else tells me -- yes, I know what I'm doing,
e.g., libc has to be replaced or I have to statically link those
setuid programs. And I have to trace down program calls to ensure
that the bugs don't get invoked in unreplaced programs.

I'm concerned about kernel call changes, file format changes, and
the like -- stuff that I'd have to spend hours reading the source
to find. If I were going to do that, I'd just go ahead and do a
full upgrade!