Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:04:34 -0500
From:      "Bill Moran" <bill_moran2@hotmail.com>
To:        adstro@stny.rr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Handbook NIS/YP Instructions

>From: Adam Stroud <adstro@stny.rr.com>
>
>Since NIS uses RPC,
>do I need to configure inetd.conf to allow RPC on the NIS server and
>clients?
>The handbook does not make any mention of editing the inetd.conf file.

inetd doesn't handle RPC.

Use the rc.conf settings suggested in the tutorial and the necessary rpc
servers will be started at boot time by /etc/rc

Once you've got everything running, you can use
ps -ax | grep rpc
to see what rpc servers were started.  I don't actually remember what's
started for NIS, although I believe rpc.statd at least needs to run.

-Bill