Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:47:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Laurent Joncheray <lpj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, n_hibma@freebsd.org
Subject:   Olympus Brio D-100 digital camera & USB mass storage device

        Hi, this is not really a question but more a report on how i got
an Olympus Brio D-100 digital camera to work with freeBSD 4.2. Search
engines can catch my mail and help any future user of that camera.
The camera is supposed to act as a mass storage device on a USB bus.
It can be mounted on a file system, and images can be copyed, erased, etc...
using usual file commands. There are some caveas to get the device to work
though, because the camera does not seem to follow the USB mass storage
specification:
- The CSW signature is not 0x53425355 but 0x55425355 (go figure)
- The camera does not support 6 bytes SCSI commands. DA_Q_NO_6_BYTE has to
be set for the device in cam/scsi/scsi_da.c.
Once that's done, i can mount the camera with 'mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt'
and transfer pictures easily.
The only problem i have is that, once removed, a probe of the devices will
crash the kernel. For instance if i run /stand/sysinstall, the kernel
crashes when the cammand probes the devices. I do not know why and did
not spend any time looking for a fix.
        I hope that'll help anyone who wants to use the D-100 with FreeBSD.
I have some diffs for the kernel driver source, but what i've done is really
ugly because i am not very familiar with the drivers, but that could be used
by someone who knows the drivers and is willing to modify them.
                -- lpj
PS: I am not on the list.
PS2: fyi the d-100 is a cheap ($250) digital camera, 1.3 MPixels.

--
Laurent Joncheray                                 E-mail: lpj@cisco.com
    Cisco Systems, Inc.                           Phone:  +1 (734) 213 4939 x16