Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:27:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hahn <hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

> Speaking of filesystems, does anyone know about works done on very
> large (disk) filesystems?  By "large", I'm talking in the range of
> 100GB - 5TB.

large fs's are usually populated by larger-than-normal files.

> I know that FFS will have some problems once we go over about 200GB
> (multi-hour fsck being one).  But all we can find are studies on
> tape-based systems (how to migrate stuff to/from disk, etc.)...

log-structuring is the obvious response: simply never have to do fsck,
or at least nothing proportional to the total size, rather than
proportional to the amount of activity...

regards, mark hahn.
--
operator may differ from spokesperson.	hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
					http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/