Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:08:04 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Joseph Scott" <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using HAS_CONFIGURE to enforce PREFIX

> Joseph Scott wrote:
>
> >         I've been updating a couple of ports and noticed something.
Both
> > of these ports use configure, but weren't honoring PREFIX.  After
looking
> > through bsd.port.mk I came across HAS_CONFIGURE, who as a default of
> > adding --prefix=${PREFIX} to the configure args.  This made both of the
> > ports in question correctly install into PREFIX instead of /usr/local.
> >
> >         Is this the right way to enforce PREFIX with configure'd ports?

In general, if a port uses GNU configure, then adding 'GNU_CONFIGURE=yes' to
the Makefile is all that is neccessary.  bsd.port.mk will look after passing
the proper arguments to GNU configure to ensure that PREFIX is honored when
the makefiles are built.

Looking at security/stunnel, it defines USE_AUTOCONF, which implies
GNU_CONFIGURE, which implies HAS_CONFIGURE, so this port should be honoring
PREFIX in any case.

As for ftp/cftp, it defines GNU_CONFIGURE which implies HAS_CONFIGURE and
should honor PREFIX as well.

Both of these ports built and installed properly for me using alternate
values for PREFIX.

One thing that you may be getting caught by is that you need to do a 'make
clean' before trying to change the value of PREFIX for a port.  This is
because configure hard-codes the paths into the makefiles it builds during a
'make configure', and won't be updated if you do something like 'make
install PREFIX=/some/other/dir' when you go to install.

--
Matt Emmerton