Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:00:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using raw slices with InnoDB/MySQL?

I'm playing around with a new database server in the office before it goes
live, and one thing I wanted to try was to use a raw disk slice as the
storage area for MySQL/InnoDB tables.

I've got a slice that was set up, and at one time even newfs'ed and
mounted, but is no longer in use, /dev/da1s1e.  Whenever anyone tries to
write to the slice, including root, I get a readonly file error.

Since the slice works fine if I newfs and mount it, I'm pretty sure that
this is some kind of protection that FreeBSD enforces keeping filesystems
from getting wiped.

Can anyone tell me what I'm tripping over?  I searched the handbook and
the FAQ, and didn't find anything.

As a side note, the InnoDB/MySQL combination allows for database files
larger than 4GB on "some operating systems" but the InnoDB/MySQL docs
don't mention which features are needed.  Any FreeBSD MySQL users out
there have the answer to this?