Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:46:11 -0600
From:      Peter Johnson <pljohnsn@uiuc.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86 nonstandard server / ELF compat problem

Note--this is _hopefully_ only a temporary problem (should be fixed when
next version of XF86 comes out).

Well, I finally was able to upgrade my system to ELF (yay).  I love it, the
only problem is that X causes some rather bizzare things with my system.
I'm certain it's due to the fact that I'm using an a.out X server binary
(which I can't update because no source will be available until XFree86
3.3.3).  The X server worked perfectly before upgrading to ELF..

Amazingly, the server actually starts up and seems to run ok (window
manager, xterm prompts start, etc), but I immediately am almost flooded by
kernel messages "calcru: negative time of -48128 usec for pid 342 (xterm)"
[with the time/pid/name changing].  Exiting the X server returns me to text
mode prompt, but I continue getting the calcru messages.  If I try to run
top or do anything other than just list files, it seems, I get a nasty
message "cputime limit exceeded".  End up not being able to shutdown
(because every process dies with a whole bunch of calcru messsages followed
immediately by a cputime message) and need to reset.

Ugh.. now I _need_ XF86 3.3.3 so I can compile the whole darn thing as ELF!!

(note: I'm using the SuSe ELSA GLORIA server for FreeBSD 2.1.5--tried to
use the Linux ELF binary, with no success)

I got the same messages right after upgrading to ELF, so I
recompiled/reinstalled the XFree86 port (compiling as ELF).. didn't fix it
*sigh*

Regards,
Peter Johnson
locke@mcs.net