Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:02:13 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <haikal@freeshell.org>
To:        "Andy Hung" <ca_hung@hotmail.com>, "Cameron Green (wildmail)" <camerongreen@wildmail.com>, "Cuong" <theuncontactable@hotmail.com>, "dave" <replenish@hotmail.com>, "Jeremy Mawson" <jem@loftinspace.com.au>, "Nik Saers " <niklas@saers.com>, "Nishchal Kush" <n.kush@student.qut.edu.au>, <admiral_paul@hotmail.com>, <patsimon12@yahoo.com>, "Wes Clarke" <fleshkeep@powerup.com.au>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A FreeBSD User Reviews Mandrake. Let the flames flow.

I gave it a chance. Honest. But it still wasn't good enough.

A bit of background. My laptop's been dormant for a while,
underpowered, overworked dog that it is, but I need a laptop as will
be on the go soon, and will need a computer of my own for internet
access, and to store my photos until I get back to Home Base.

I want a flavour of unix simply because, well, to bullet it out,
O I hate windows 9x/ME, and my laptop's really too underpowered for
2k or xp.
O I want to impress chicks (okay, fine, let's be realistic
here...show my l33tness to my other friends, and impress (or upset)
potential employers by nmap'ing their networks and setting their
laserjets to use letter and triplicate instead if a4 because they
were too slack to set a default password)

After seeing all the hype about the new generation of linuxes, having
a laptop to spare, (and seeing as how FreeBSD 5.0 is still not out
yet), I decided to give Mandrake 9.0 a whirl.

Before I went on, I decided to outline some requirements for my
laptop. So here goes.

Base Requirements:
O No Bullshit setup/configuration.
O Must work with my digital camera.
O Must be able to get on the web with a Mozilla-type browser.
O Must run evolution. Sorry, no other mailer will do.
O Must be able to get on ICQ,YM,MSN, and IRC.
O Must have an workable office suite. (OO.o or gnome office)

Extended Requirements
O Must be able to do stuff while listening to mp3's off an smb share.

Super Extended Requirements
O Must be able to run Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia flash (or
equivalent) (dream)
O Java!
O Anything else I can think of.

Okay, let's start from the beginning.

The hardware
Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT, 400mhzish cyrix chip, 64 meg ram, 3com
pcmcia nic, 4g of harddrive space.

The Installation.
Package installation was a royal pain, as it was slow as, and in
grand linux fashion, insisted on crapping shit all over my harddrive.
The final install weighed in at around 2.5 gig, as the installer did
give me gnome and kde, and I did not make any efforts to stop it.

The installer itself, I found too colourful for my tastes...as if it
was aimed
at  7 year olds or something.

All in all, not much substance. Took me way too long to get from
bootup to formatting partitions, and from formatting to installing
packages. An experience which I would not have to relive again.
(Compared to FreeBSD's not as pretty, srprisingly much more
functional installer.

Once all that was done, It rebooted and gave me a gdm logon screen.
Oh, and it had a pretty framebuffer thing which told you in nice
colours what services were starting. Boy did it take ages to
start...it took longer to start up that windows 98 used to. And in
grand linux fashion, started up a whole heap of services which are
highly unnecessary on a laptop. Saslauthd? Wtf is that? I don't use
sasl to authenticate against anything. This is a lapop, which gets
used on about three different subnets and has one user account. Why
oh why.

The first few hours...
Were spent in frustration because my network card was not being
detected. After much frustration at google and google groups not
being able to answer my question, I finally set the bios setting to
use 16-bit cardbus, and it worked. No mention of this setting having
to do anything was mention on the web. (And google is the web as far
as I'm concerned).

Oh, and I forgot to mention, not having a configured network seems to
upset a lot of things. Urgent looking (but ultimately harmless)
messages saying things like (paraphrase) 'Could not find hostname,
your network is seriously misconfigured' popping up on logging in.
Well I have news for you, bub. The hostname is 'localhost'...at least
that was what 'hostname' said.

Right, anyhow, once I got the network card fired up, it didn't do
anything. Didn't try to get a dhcp lease or anything. Frustration
followed. Quick look at /etc/ made me hurl (why can't linux have
/etc/rc.conf?), so I decided to try the fancy gui tools, of which
there were quite a few. I tried linuxconf first, as that's what a lot
of linux weenies like to talk about, and...It Didn't Work! Made some
shoddy excuse before shitting itself.

I tried the mandrake supplied tool, and haha! It worked. Newsflash,
Mandrake dev team: Don't install tools that don't frigging work.
FreeBSD's /stand/sysinstall, like the installer, may not be pretty,
but it works. Everytime. And you have no other tools to confuse you
either.

Moving on...
First thing I tried was see if my camera worked. It's a sony
cybershot, which hooks in via usb and pretends to be USB drive. A
mount /mnt/camera later, I could move files in and out. Woohoo!

Of course, I could surf, and chat with xchat and gabber. So I was
happy for a few days.

I tried to install the software, but out of the box, the only source
mandrake recognises are the CD's. I had to MANUALLY add an ftp source
and an index file which I had to SEARCH for (it wasn't in any of the
manuals, or within 5 clicks of the mandrake website or google).
Compare and contrast, again to FreeBSD, which lets you pick whether
to install packages off CD, ftp, http or a myriad of other source,
and _has preconfigured ftp sites *all over the world*_.

And then....
I tried listeing to mp3's over thenetwork with xmms over an smb
mounted share, and it crawled. Sound drop outs everytime I tried to
do anything, like copying files from cd or network. Oh, and even
though CD's were automounted, I had trouble reading one...it had file
names with spaces in it. Nah, refused to copy. Not sure if the spaces
were _the_ reason, but a nearby freebsd box was able to read the same
cd just fine. The CD in question was a Macromedia promo CD witch I
got at a seminar a while ago (I just went for the freebies, didn't
get much, apart from a lime frog (not a crunchy one :D))

Moving on, I tried to install the flash demo from the cd under wine,
but the thing crashes after installshield finished extracting, and
that's the end of that. I wonder how people manage to get WarCraft 3
going, what me not being able to even INSTALL a systemwise less
demanding app than warcraft 3. Maybe I shoulda RTFM, but really,
after the xmms test and the cd read fiasco, I wasn't going to try.

So now...
I'm installing Redhat 8. Will it be good enough to make me not
overwrite it with FreeBSD once 5.0 comes out? Stay tuned.

The verdict?
Well to be fair, it was nice while it lasted, and for a basic
internet client with a gnome desktop, it's okay, but It must be an
embarrasment for someone to be outformed by windows 98. (it boots up
faster, and I can play mp3's and surf/ copy files without dropping
out). It craps junk all over disk which I don't need, starts up slow
as, and really...at the end of the day, left my wanting for the
simplicity and... Logicalness and sanity of a FreeBSD system.