Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 02:06:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM ("Louis A. Mamakos"), Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Thomas Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

> From: louie@TransSys.COM ("Louis A. Mamakos")
> Date: Sun 14 Jul, 2002
> Subject: Re: Package system flaws?

> I think of two classes of users of the FreeBSD system.  They are:
>
> A) Those that install releases from a CDROM from time-to-time.
>
> 2) Those that follow FreeBSD development on an on-going basis (e.g.,
> bleeding edge -CURRENT or production -STABLE users).
>
> The "A" class of users don't need a package management system to
> maintain their systems as part of the FreeBSD base system.

How then do they install the package management system package?  ;-)

> E.g., they
> use tools like sysinstall which isn't even built by "make buildworld",
> but is available on the distribution CDROM they booted.

sysinstall and pkg_add are part of the base system, regardless of what
a source build does (source builds being irrelevant to this class of users).
[And sysinstall is part of buildworld in 5.0 anyway.]

The "A" class still needs tools which will enable them to install additional
packages, and to update components of the base system (e.g. for security
fixes), ideally without ever needing any part of the source tree.

> What's it
> mean to be part of the "base system" when everything turns into
> optional components?

The "base system" is a pre-defined set of packages approximately equivalent
to what today comprises the base system (minus a few components which would
be optional now if the ports system were up to it).

This subset is "standard FreeBSD", and third party developers can reasonably
assume that all of its components are installed - you can install less if you
don't care about that.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses