Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:26:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Stephen D. Spencer" <bsd-alpha@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: /boot/loader failure 4.5-PR

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

> [...] Can you do this, can you build a debug loader (clean
> sys/boot and then compile it with -g in CFLAGS).  Strip the loader before you
> install it though, and then repeat this and get the ra again (ra is the return
> address), then reboot the system, fire up gdb on the debug loader binary with
> all the symbols, and do 'l *0x<value of ra>'.  For example, in this case you
> would do 'l *0x2000073C' except that your loader binary probably doesn't have
> symbols.

Hrm... she doesn't want to dance with me...

I rebuilt sys/boot making sure the CFLAGS variable was set to -g (nothing
else)  The only ELFin file that was created was loader.sym.  I tried gdb'ing
it with te return address from the failed /boot/loader.  It complains about
no source file for address *0x2000073C.

I thought that this file might be the correct one to load into the debugger
as loader is generated from an objdump of loader.sym.

Anyway, I'm evidently missing something here.

Note: the loader that I initially reported address information for had been
compiled with -g

Further instructions?

Regards,
Stephen