Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:10:19 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <Lowell@Be-Well.Ilk.Org>
To:        krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
Cc:        hasanhasanli Hasan <hasanhasanli@mail.ru>, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildworld from FreeBSD 8.1 to FreeBSD 8.2

krad <kraduk@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11 July 2011 14:07, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>wr=
ote:

>> Em Seg, 2011-07-11 =E0s 11:48 +0400, hasanhasanli Hasan escreveu:
>>

>> > I had problem with upgrating FreeBSD 8.1 to FreeBSD 8.2
>> > after that I typed
>> > make buildworld
>> > It gives error.
>> > /usr/lib/libthr.a(thr_syscalls.o)(.text+0x87a): In function `___pselec=
t':
>> > : undefined reference to `__pselect'
>> > *** Error code 1
>>
>> I use the following procedure:
>> 1) build freebsd in a CLEAN machine (supose new bsd is 8.2)...:
>>    make buildworld buildkernel
>>    Please save the environment variables KERNCONF
>>
>> 2) copy /usr/src /usr/obj to the old (8.1, or even 7.x) bsd... in the
>> same directory(/usr/srcj /usr/obj) rsync works fine...
>> 3) in the new (the one you generate freebsd) machine....
>>    rsync -avz --delete /usr/src/  root@oldmachine:/usr/src
>>    rsync -avz --delete /usr/obj/  root@oldmachine:/usr/obj
>> 4) in the oldmachine.....
>>    cd /usr/src
>>    set KERNCONF
>>    make installworld installkernel
>> 5) reboot..
>>
>> FOR ME, it works...
>>
>> Sergio
>
> world should be done after the kernel and there should be a reboot inbetw=
een
> the two as well. Also what about mergemaster?

No, buildworld is before kernel so that the kernel is built with the new to=
olchain.

Mergemaster is definitely needed as part of the process, but won't have
produced this particular failure.

The two-machine system is unnecessarily complicated for most users.

We really need to know what the original poster's procedure was.