Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:41:56 -0400
From:      Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ermal_Lu=E7i?= <eri@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Subject:   Re: Using pf.conf with public access points.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>w=
rote:

> I nearly forgot all about that feature thank you for the reminder.
>

> --
>  Jason Hellenthal
>  Voice: 95.30.17.6/616
>  JJH48-ARIN
>
> On Mar 10, 2014, at 10:20, Ermal Lu=E7i <eri@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Usually pf(4) does support having dynamic ips inside its ruleset.
> For example just putting the interface name as address or putting $iface:=
0
> for first address etc...
>
> Take a look an man page of pf.conf and search for the string 'Interface
> names and interface group names can'
>

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net=
>wrote:
>
>> You'll want to not use up addresses in your pf.conf
>>
>> Block on default and then open up by definition of ports instead. Forget
>> the whole IPAddr thing and treat this as a roaming client firewall.
>>

>> --
>>  Jason Hellenthal
>>  Voice: 95.30.17.6/616
>>  JJH48-ARIN

>> > it doesn't appear that pf has this ability, but it looks like ipfw
>> > has this, from ipfw(8):
>> >             me      matches any IP address configured on an interface
>> in the
>> >                     system.
>> >
>> > So, maybe switching to ipfw might be an option..
>> >
>> > --
>> >  John-Mark Gurney                Voice: +1 415 225 5579
>> >
>> >     "All that I will do, has been done, All that I have, has not."
>>

> --
> Ermal

Has anyone thought about putting themselves in an environment similar to
mine- not everything- when it comes to networking? You would have to set
everything up with the following parameters:
1. Because you are at more than one place, you cannot setup wlanX or the
wlandev in rc.conf. They must always be created after booting and logging
in.
2. Dhclient cannot be automatic because a public access area may have more
than one available bssid for connecting.
3. Since each public access will have different firewalls, streaming and
web services may not be able to be ran.
4. A script would probably work better than static settings in this case.