Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:26:03 -0700
From:      "Kelly Jones" <kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, nmlug@nmlug.org, nmosug-l@mailman.swcp.com
Subject:   Snapshotting a system before fixing it

When a critical service on a system goes down, fixing it is top priority.

Unfortunately, this makes doing a post-mortem analysis more
difficult-- after you've fixed the problem, doing "ps", "mailq", or
whatever isn't that helpful.

Question: has anyone written a script that quickly snapshots (saves to
a file) the "important" values of a system?

You could then quickly run "snapshot.pl" before fixing the system, and
examine the output of snapshot.pl later at your leisure.

If I wrote something like this, it would dump the output of "ps -aux
-www", "mailq -v" (maybe), and a few other commands to
/tmp/snapshot.`date` or something.

Has this wheel already been invented?