Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:35:09 +0200
From:      bram <bram@diomedia.be>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELENG 6.1/AMD64 system hangs when SMP enabled

Hi all,

I'm rather new to freebsd so forgive me if I am saying things that don't
make sense.

I have a dual opteron server running freebsd 6.1/amd64 updated 4 weeks ago.

Since I moved to 6 I've been having tho following problem.

When I put heavy load on the server (python scripts that take 20 minutes
to complete) the server sometimes hangs.

I can then not ping it anymore and it does not respond to anything (no
keyboard power button etc.).
Mostly there are no error messages or anything so I have no clue to what
the problem is.
One time it did give an error but I did not wrote it down, but as I
recall it was something like SMP spin lock timed out.

It hangs every three weeks

Please give me some info on how I can get it to give more info or how to
resolve this problem.

thanks in advance

Bram

below are the first lines of dmesg

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #3: Tue Aug  1 16:30:28 CEST 2006
    bram@SIMBA.jeansgallery.be:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SIMBA
ACPI APIC Table: <A M I  OEMAPIC >
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 (2004.56-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0xf5a  Stepping = 10

Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  AMD Features=0xe0500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>
real memory  = 2147418112 (2047 MB)
avail memory = 2062467072 (1966 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs