Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:36:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        thursday@altavista.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best upgrade path?

thursday@altavista.net types:
> Hi,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE machine which I'm considering upgrading to 4.2-RELEASE.
>
> I'm wondering what the best upgrade path is: whether to use the "Upgrade" method provided in /stand/sysinstall, or whether to wipe out the hard drive and do a completely fresh install from scratch.

Wipe the hard drive (or at least everything fs that install is going
to touch) and do a fresh install. The upgrade stuff is relatively
painless, but it doesn't safe very much time.

> I think I'd like to do whatever would result in the least downtime for the machine (it does virtual hosting for a bunch of my friends' domains) and the least time for me reconfiguring services such as httpd, sendmail  samba, natd and my firewall.

Hopefully, you know what you changed, and can put it back. Ideally,
you've got it all in CVS or something similar (Perforce, anyone?) as
well. The only real gotcha will be that sendmail's config files have
moved. Maybe it's time to consider postfix or qmail?

> My concern about using sysinstall's upgrade utility is that I might run into trouble upgrading exisitng installed packages. Is there an automated tool for upgrading installed ports/packages?

"pkg_version -c" provides a script that ties to rebuild everything
that's not out of date. However, you want to rebuild
everything. You'll need to do that whether you install or upgrade,
though.

	<mike