Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 17:38:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, msmith@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

Randall Hopper stands accused of saying:
> Michael Smith:
>  |Randall Hopper stands accused of saying:
>  |>      I'd leave it enabled in my kernel with a nifty picture if it would
>  |> auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons login prompt.
>  |Hmm, I don't actually think it should disappear with the login prompt;
>  |it should stay there being pretty if the system isn't being dinked with.
>  |Currently, I am leaning towards having it disappear on any keypress.
>
>      Hmmm, not sure I understand where you're coming from.  If you're
> sitting at the text login prompt, why would you want the splash page to
> stay up?

If it's a server in a droid-heavy environment, eg., or otherwise needs to
look "pretty".

>      Sounds good.  How does one make use of it?  A quick scan of the
> patched syscons.c doesn't reveal it to me.  I see where the palette is
> loaded from the BMP and where its dumped to the VGA, but I don't find any
> mention of the palette rotation (except in a comment).

That's it 8).   Seriously, I got sidetracked looking for a BMP editor that
was capable of actually letting you pick colour numbers for palette
entries and didn't sit down to write the shifter; it's quite trivial.