Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:43:16 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror provider name limit [Was: Re: geom_label: gpt/labelname for gmirror provider?]

--------------enigDB84BAA1E8943302E0990A95

Harald Schmalzbauer schrieb am 14.07.2009 20:08 (localtime):
> Ivan Voras schrieb am 14.07.2009 19:15 (localtime):
=2E..
>> If it's something else, please explain with more details.
>=20
> Sorry for my bad explanation!
> I'm using
> `gpart modify -l part1disk1 -i 2 ad4`
> and
> `gpart modify -l part1disk2 -i 2 ad6`
> so I have
> /dev/gpt/part1disk1
> and
> /dev/gpt/part1disk2
>=20
> Now I want to use these as providers for geom_mirror:
> `gmirror label -b load MIRROR1 gpt/part1disk2 gpt/part1disk2`
>=20
> gmirror prints that metadata was successfully written (to provider=20
> gpt/part1diskX) but in fact geom_mirror doesn't jump in and detect the =

> mirror.

For the records:
I found that the name of the provider for gmirror mustn't exceed 15=20
characters. `gmirror` doesn't complain if you specify a provider name=20
longer that 15 characters, but the mirror won't be detected.
So for example it's impossible to use gptid as provider.
At least this should be documented in the man page(es, I guess this=20
restriction applies to graid3 etc. also)
Perhaps it's desirable to loosen that restriction. I'm fine with 15=20
characters, but like mentioned gptid for example may be for some people=20
a desirable provider name.

Thanks,

-Harry

P.S.: My coding skills don't last for offering a diff...