Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:17:27 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   [port-writing] Optional dependencies: How ?

Heya,

After writing a few ports, I would really like to know a few things that I
can't find information about. Any hints/pointers/comments would be greatly
appreciated:

[1] How I can use different distfiles, choosing the one that is available. For
    the java/bugseeker port, for instance, there can be 2 distfiles, something
    like "bugseeker2ee-1_0_2.tar.gz" and "bugseeker2pe-1_0_2.tar.gz". These
    are the "Enterprise" and "Personal" edition. The only difference between
    the 2 distributions is the license.txt file, I think. The rest of the
    files is the same. So I would like my java/bugseeker port to use the "ee"
    version if available, and otherwise the "pe" version.

[2] How can I make a port depend on _either_ of 2 ports. The "java/openjit"
    port needs either java/jdk *or* java/jdk12-beta. If either one is
    installed, then I would like my port to install.

[3] How can I make set an environment variable in my Makefile, depending on
    the installed port (see [2]). For example, for java/openjit I would like
    to have my port use java/jdk12-beta if available, or java/jdk if not.
    Specically I would like to have:

       JAVADIR=        ${LOCALBASE}/jdk1.1.8

    if only java/jdk is installed, but:

       JAVADIR=        ${LOCALBASE}/jdk1.2.2

    if java/jdk12-beta is installed. Should I use an ".if" construct for this?

--
Ernst