Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:52:28 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DNS caching question

Hello.  I have a question about DNS caching.  Someone walked me through
setting
up our FreeBSD system ages ago to just be a caching DNS.  I know it's working
to SOME degree, as one can set their DNS to be our server's IP and it works...
but I'm wondering a way to check it's statistics, how much it's caching, how
long, how big the cache is, how many queries can be satisfied from the cache,
etc.  I'm pouring through the ORA book "DNS and BIND" but I haven't figured it
out yet, so I was hoping for a preliminary answer :).  I'd also be interested
in how to adjust these settings for a caching DNS.

My version is 4.9.4-P1 I think.  I'm not sure because the dig (etc) command in
the FAQ doesn't seem to work.  I checked /usr/src/contrib/bind/Makefile and
got
the version from there.

Please cc: any replies to my email... thanks!