Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 2014 16:27:36 -0400
From:      Naram Qashat <cyberbotx@cyberbotx.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does pkg automatically download INDEX?

On 08/03/14 15:53, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 03/08/2014 20:34, Naram Qashat wrote:
>> Well, I've been using the command line arguments of "-voL '='", and
>> looking at the man page for pkg-version, as far as I can tell, it
>> shouldn't be downloading INDEX, since I do have INDEX-9 on my system.
>
> pkg(8) doesn't download or attempt to build an INDEX at all.  It can use
> one if one happens to be already available, but not otherwise.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

I'm at a bit of a loss, then. While I can't say for sure if pkg is doing
something unintended, there seems to be something on my system that is
downloading INDEX without my knowledge.

My usual way of updating my INDEX is using p5-FreeBSD-Portindex to generate the
INDEX file, and using that INDEX to update the files that portupgrade uses. I
run that manually, so I have nothing that would do that for me automatically, to
my knowledge.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat