Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:19:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, patton@sysnet.net
Subject:   Re: NFS loopback mounts

>Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 00:03:06 -0500
>From: Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>

>So are loopback mounts dangerous?

Well, I had some problems with them (FreeBSD-2.2.5-R, at the time).  So
I set up the amd maps to recognize when the data actually resided on the
machine in question:  if so, use a "type:=link"; if not, use
"type:=host".

>Did I hit some sort of race condition by
>double mounting? My idea was that I could sit down on any of my hosts and
>expect to see the same FS layout. This also necessitated some /etc/rc edits
>to start nfsd VERY early in the process and a staticly compiled portmap
>installed in /sbin, etc. I'm beginning to think this was a bad move
>afterall and that I should just dedicate the box to NFS and not play fancy
>games with mount points.

Not sure what the root cause was, but adding a little complexity to the
amd maps (as above) allowed us to provide the illusion of the "same FS
layout"... and allowed me to use my desktop machine without it crashing
6 times per day.  (Typically, we have a person's home directory on the
desktop machine.)  I consider that a small price to pay....

[Sorry about the delay; I was out of the office last week, and intend to
re-subscribe to the FreeBSD lists after I finish catching up & can
breathe again.]

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621