Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   TCL/TK: knowing if a command is not responding

Hi,

Does somebody know if it's possible in TCL/TK to know
if a command is not responding? Because I'm writing a
little script which ping some machine on my network to
see if they are there and if they are, I'm doing a
little process. But sometimes, I'm able to ping the
machine but the machine is not responding. So if I do
for example a remote shell on those machine, the
script will wait forever for a response. I want to be
able to know if a command is not responding, or to do
something else if the command is not responding for,
let's say, 15 secondes. If it's not possible in TCL,
maybe someone can tell me how to do it in shell script
(csh or sh).

Thanks

Eric Boucher