Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:05:23 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Subject:   Re: diskless problem: Lookup of /dev for devfs, error: 13

On 11/19/09, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Michael W. Lucas <
> mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm attempting to run a diskless 8.0 i386 workstation on VMWare, using
>> an OpenSolaris box as a file store.  I get PXE, the kernel loads, but
>> when we try to remount the filesystem I get:

>> NFS ROOT:  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/storage1/vm/netflow
>> Lookup of /dev for devfs, error 13
>> exec /sbin/init: error 13
>> exec /sbin/oinit: error 13
>> exec /sbin/init.bak: error 13
>> exec /rescue/inet: error 13
>> exec /stand/sysinstall: error 13
>> init: not found in path

Firewall embedded into the kernel?  disable and or remove and try again.

>> At first glance, it would appear that /dev is missing.  I've never
>> seen this happen before diskless systems, though, and I can't find any
>> other references to this.  I know that other people have PXE-booted
>> FreeBSD on VMWare, however.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions on what to check?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> I think you were following the same aged howto I was.  Whatever config file
> /stand/sysinstall and friends is located in needs to be edited and have
> those references removed.  That's about as far as I got when playing around
> a few ago.

I think the rc/init tries to run all of those as hard-coded values.  I
recall trying to build a floppy diskette with a minimal kernel and
minimal single-user world, and i repeatedely got the above while
trying to build the floppy.  This would have either been the 4.x or
6.x days.