Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 07:21:07 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PHP and databases

Hi:

I am preparing to install Apache+PHP.  I would like to be able to use both
mysql and postgres (for transactional support).  I know that I have to
install the databases first.  During the Apache+PHP install I will be asked
to choose a database (default mysql) -- can I choose more than one?

Also, a related question: how do upgrades work?  Postgresql 7.0 is almost
ready.  If I install 6.5.3 first, will I need to reinstall Apache+PHP when I
want to upgrade to 7.0?

Does anyone have any clue when PHP 4 will be released?  I know that they
have had a release candidate out for a few weeks.

Feel free to add whatever pointers/info that would help make these install
work right (I am a newbie).  I have searched the mailing lists and it seems
the biggest problem is when people try to install themselves without using
ports (I'm not sure why anyone would do that) or install Apache+PHP *before*
the database(s).

John