Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 01:40:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Greg=20Quinlan?= <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP complains of invalid net mask???

Hi All,

Recently while trying to set up a second PPP link
(ppp1) I encounted an error; PPP complained that the
netmask of 255.255.255.0 was invalid.

I believe it may have something to do with the fact
that I already have one PPP link (ppp0) which has a
network mask of 255.255.255.128.

I am using kernel ppp with - 'pppd file options.vpn'
as the command.

Setting the netmask to 255.255.255.128 on the second
link (ppp1) allows the dialer script to dial and make
the connection, but this mask is not valid for the
client/gateway combination. Also, despite the fact
that I do NOT specify the 'defaultroute' option in
the second ppp link options file (options.vpn) pppd
attempts to add it giving an error: 'default route
exists'

Anyone got a clue what's wrong. I am running 3.4S from
about midway through Feb/00.

Thanks

Greg

ps. I'm not in the mailing list :( (could not cope
with the volume)ie. please include me in replies!!