Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:23:28 +0100
From:      Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>
To:        Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Message from CRON

--=-RllOk2DvX2UrU9EbnwI7

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 00:25, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> >From time to time, I receive a notification that I have mail in
> /var/mail/ges.
>=20
> Upon checking, this is what I find:
>=20
> Subject: Cron <ges@BudMan> operator /usr/libexec/save-entropy
[...]
> operator: not found
>=20
> Subject: Cron <ges@BudMan> root	/usr/libexec/atrun
[...]
> root: not found
>=20
> You will notice that these times are very close together. Actually, I hav=
> received messages with the times varying by only a few seconds. Why am I
> receiving these messages, and what are they trying to tell me?
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Gerard Seibert
> gerard-seibert@rcn.com
>=20

did you modify your /etc/crontab?=20

#minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /usr/libexec/atrun
*/11    *       *       *       *       operator
/usr/libexec/save-entropy

It looks like you have an additional column in these lines, so that cron
thinks "root" and "operator" are commands to execute.

HTH,
Andreas

--=-RllOk2DvX2UrU9EbnwI7

--=-RllOk2DvX2UrU9EbnwI7--