Date:      Sun, 4 May 2008 14:41:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Richard-1 <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb mouse

On Sun, 4 May 2008, Richard-1 wrote:

> Has anyone got a USB Wheel optical mouse PS/2 compatable,

Yes:
$ dmesg | grep -i mouse
ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/20.00, addr 2, iclass
3/1

> Could you please let me know the protocol section in xorg.conf
> is.

Mine reads:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

This may have been atomatically generated, but I'm not 100% sure since
this has been working for years.

> According to the xorg.conf on the linux partition its listed as
> "ExplorePS/2"
>
> ON a console its working, mouse deamon looks happy, but on X with
> gnome, its not working.
>
> I've tried changing  from option "Protocol" "auto" to "ExporerPS/2"
> but still nothing.
> It was working before on the default desktop, but not in gnome.

"default desktop" meaning twm? If so, is it working *now* with twm? If
so, this looks like a gnome issue, on which I am not qualified to
comment.

I'd first try eliminating the gnome variable: in your xinitrc, comment
out whatever it is that starts gnome and replace it with <some other
window manager> instead, perhaps twm, and see if the mouse works. Then
you'll at least know if it's a problem specifically with gnome, or with
X in general.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]