Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:52:38 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "mgmcomm @hotmail.com" <mgmcomm@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail aliases not worked as expected

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:50:03PM +0000, mgmcomm @hotmail.com wrote:

> When a cron or periodic task creates an email to say root...it gets maile=
d=20
> to root@host.domain.com instead of root@domain.com.  Which results in an=
=20
> error message

That's by design, believe it or not.  'root' is a member of class E --
Exposed Users -- whoese e-mail addresses won't be rewritten by
genericstable processing or the like.
=20
> Jan  7 03:03:01 butters sm-mta[1511]: i07331me001498: SYSERR(root):=20
> butters.kibserv.org. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)

On your mail host, you need to add the names of all of the hosts you
provide mail service for to the /etc/mail/local-host-names file, one
per line.

> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> kibserv.org.		1H IN MX	10 mail.kibserv.org.

> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> mail.kibserv.org.	1H IN CNAME	stan.kibserv.org.
> stan.kibserv.org.	1H IN A		10.0.0.8

Not relevant to your current problem, but you've got your MX pointed
to a CNAME.  That's bad karma and not permitted by the DNS standards.
You should make mail.kibserv.org into an A record like so:

mail.kibserv.org.	1H IN A	10.0.0.8
stan.kibserv.org.	1H IN A	10.0.0.8

and similarly, provide PTR records for both names:

$ORIGIN 0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.

8	1H	IN	PTR	mail.kibserv.org.
			PTR	stan.kibserv.org.

	Cheers,