Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:47:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        hpk104@hotmail.com (Harris Kauffman)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld over NFS

Harris Kauffman wrote,
> I have two pc's running FreeBSD.  If I do a make buildworld on one, its possible to use the build binaries on the other over NFS right?

Yep. Just make sure the machines are configured identically or as
similar as possible. Mainly, you should have the same options in
/etc/make.conf.

> I've never used NFS before, is there someone(or someplace) that could step me through this?

It's pretty easy. First, buildworld on the "server" machine.

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld

Now, the server needs to be made ready to export the filesystem to the
other machine. I assume your are using the default /usr/src and
/usr/obj for the buildworld and both are on a single /usr
filesystem. In that case, add the following to /etc/exports,

/usr/src /usr/obj -maproot=0:0 <client>

Where <client> is hostname or IP address of the machine you will be
installing on. Once this is done, start the NFS servers and mountd,

# mountd
# nfsd -n 4
# rpc.statd

Oh, and you need to have portmap(8) running for this all to work too.

Anyway, once the buildworld is done and you have started the NFS
servers, log onto your client, and

# mount <server>:/usr/src /usr/src
# mount <server>:/usr/obj /usr/obj

And then just,

# cd /usr/src
# make installworld

And you should be in business.

Note that if you really wanted to, you can do all of the NFS mounting
first and actually do a 'make world' on the client machine so that it
does all of the building.