Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:32:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Volker Kindermann <freebsd@secspace.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accurate time without a network connection?

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:16:11PM +0200, Volker Kindermann wrote:

> > Looking for options to keep system time moderately accurate at a site
> > without network access. So the normal application of ntpd over IP is
> > not viable. Dialup modem not allowed either.
>
> there are external, atomic watch controlled clocks for the serial port.
> Look at your electronic dealer.

I know there are, but at the moment I'm not finding any. The original
was "World's Most Accurate Clock" by Heathkit, $400, but long out of
business.

Oregon Scientific has a lot of WWV clocks but none I could find with an
external interface.

Surfing http://www.ntp.org/ has turned up a lot of information but
little hardware. Of most interest was use of sound card connected to
radio receiver for decoding the time signals. But that's a touch exotic
for this application. Else I'd use the $20 LCD "atomic clock" I have on
my wall, a $25 USB "web-cam", and some sort of OCR.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net