Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:03:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

> I noticed an X program out there called xdvorak ... I'm hoping it's a
> Dvorak keyboard typing tutor (but more likely its just glitz riding
> atop xmodmap).

It just remaps.  It uses the X api directly, not xmodmap. It also
messes up on some cheap Mac and Windows X servers.  I have a
tweaked version which uses Microsoft's dvorak layout, which is
the most common handling of the keys in the upper right quadrant
of the keyboard ([{}]=+).

The best dvorak tutor is a little keyboard picture taped just
below your monitor.

I'm by no means a fast typist, I peak at around 30 words per
minute on qwerty and 80 words per minute on dvorak.  Your mileage
may vary.  If you are typing 100 words per minute on qwerty, I
doubt going dvorak will make a huge change.  It might increase
endurance though, since all the vowels and snthd are on the home
row.  Excursions to the bottom row are quite rare.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================