Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 23:33:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        mtoole@hidesert.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996 mtoole@hidesert.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to get the X windows to work.  I won't start.  I know I
> Probably still have to put it in the path but I don't know how to do that,
> can you tell me how to put it in my path?  Thanks alot.

Run `xf86config' to configure XFree86 first.  Then type `startx' to run
it.  Assuming you have correctly installed all of the things necessary I
think that's all you need to do.  Run xf86config as root.  `startx'
can/should be as a normal user.

> P.S. I know how to edit files, just let me know which file I need to edit
> because I went through them and found about 3 different files with paths, all
> of which aren't my current path.

Ahh...  Well, it all really depends on which shell you are using.  You
can read the manpage for the given shell (warning, that may take a
certain amount of time), or you can just change all three... :)

Offhand, .cshrc is used by csh and its variants (ie. tchs).  .profile by sh
and its variants (ie. bash).  .login is also a csh file, but read only
when you login instead of everytime that csh is started.  .xinitrc is a
shell script run shortly after you type `startx'.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk