Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:59:35 +0300
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@cell.sick.ru>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My planned work on networking stack

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 01:07:58PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
B> >   Is there any plans about integration of BGP routing daemon (Zebra or
B> > Quagga) into FreeBSD? With BGP routing daemon onboard, FreeBSD will be
B> > a strong alternative against expensive commercial routers. I have
B> > successfull experience of running FreeBSD STABLE with 2 full BGP views
B> > for half a year. Modern i386 PC can route/filter/shape much more traffic
B> > than expensive Cisco 36xx. I haven't yet compared with 7000 series...
B>
B> 	Talk to people who have real-world experience in running
B> zebra/quagga in ISP environments with multiple upstreams and taking
B> full views.  The guy who is designing bgpd for OpenBSD gave a talk on

 Haven't you understand? I'm the "person who has real-world experience in running
zebra in ISP environments with multiple upstreams and taking full views".

B> the subject at FOSDEM, and it was very enlightening to hear about the
B> problems with zebra (which went commercial and the open source
B> version basically hasn't been touched in years) and quagga (which is

Browse zebra CVS to make sure that author is commiting bugfixes.
For example: last commit to BGP code is done 2 weeks ago.

B> a community of zebra users trying desperately to fix the worst of the
B> bugs), and how he has used this information during his design of a

I can't say a word about quagga, since I haven't use it, but I have positive
experience with zebra (see above).

B> 	If anything, I'd be inclined to look towards his work for OpenBSD
B> and see if that could be imported into FreeBSD (and maybe improved,
B> with contributions given back to him), rather than mess around with
B> crap like zebra or quagga.

I stop replying... Do not like flame.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.