Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 02:39:41 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

Frank Pawlak wrote:

> I have a serious question for you.  I am not sure that I have all spelling and
> names straight.  So if some of the names and nationalities that I ask about are
> not correct, please excuse my ignorance. You appear to be a French Canadian.  I
> am interested in someone called Evangeline that is in some way connected to the
> Arcadian French that settled in Canada.
>
> When I was in the Army, I spent a lot of time in Louisiana among the Cajun
> people.  I believe that they are Arcadian French that migrated and settled in
> southern Louisiana.  They sing a very beautiful song about Evangeline, who is
> either a saint or some type of hero.  Can you give me any information on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Frank
"Acadian" are not the same thing than French people in quebec. They are
in majority in New Brunswick, Ile du Prince Edouard and Nova Scotia.
Evangeline was a heroes because she was separated of her husband Gabriel
for the massive acadian deportation/assimilation to France, english
colonies(even australia) and USA. There is a town somewhere in Acadie
where there is a church and a big Statue of Evangeline. Well, there is a
lot of explanation on the horror of the deportation, how the english
where so much evils ;-) The history of Evangeline is now used in songs
and theatre. It's a myth.

My traduction is not has romantic has in french :-)
"In 1847, Henry-Wadsworth Longfellow, an american, published a poem
named Évangeline where he tell us how was the deportation for Évangeline
and Gabriel, who where living in Port-Royal

After being separated of her husband by evil english, she will search
him a lot in Louisiana. She finaly decide to give her life to the
"Soeurs de la Charité" in Philadelphia.

After a lot of time, she find him in an hospital, where he was dying."
snif snif
Malartre
http://www.rpa.ca/acadie/evangi.htm ~ Mythe d'Acadie
--