Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:29:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

> This is not a big problem. I will create the description for
> the virtual categories (perl, tk etc.) by hand.

>From /usr/src/release/sysinstall/index.c:

    "All", "All available packages in all categories.",
    "applications", "User application software.",
    "astro", "Applications related to astronomy.",
    "archivers", "Utilities for archiving and unarchiving data.",
    "audio", "Audio utilities - most require a supported sound card.",
    "biology", "Software related to Biology.",
    "benchmarks", "Utilities for measuring system performance.",
    "benchmarking", "Utilities for measuring system performance.",
    "cad", "Computer Aided Design utilities.",
    "chinese", "Ported software for the Chinese market.",
    "comms", "Communications utilities.",
    "converters", "Format conversion utilities..",
    "databases", "Database software.",
    "devel", "Software development utilities and libraries.",
    "development", "Software development utilities and libraries.",
    "deskutils", "Various Desktop utilities.",
    "documentation", "Document preparation utilities.",
    "editors", "Common text editors.",
    "emulation", "Utilities for emulating other OS types.",
    "emulators", "Utilities for emulating other OS types.",
    "games", "Various and sundry amusements.",
    "german", "Ported software for Germanic countries.",
    "graphics", "Graphics libraries and utilities.",
    "japanese", "Ported software for the Japanese market.",
    "kde", "Software for the K Desktop Environment.",
    "korean", "Ported software for the Korean market.",
    "lang", "Computer languages.",
    "languages", "Computer languages.",
    "libraries", "Software development libraries.",
    "mail", "Electronic mail packages and utilities.",
    "math", "Mathematical computation software.",
    "mbone", "Applications and utilities for the mbone.",
    "misc", "Miscellaneous utilities.",
    "net", "Networking utilities.",
    "networking", "Networking utilities.",
    "news", "USENET News support software.",
    "numeric", "Mathematical computation software.",
    "offix", "An office automation suite of sorts.",
    "orphans", "Packages without a home elsewhere.",
    "perl5", "Utilities/modules for the PERL5 language..",
    "pilot", "Software support for the USR Palm Pilot(tm).",
    "plan9", "Software from the plan9 Operating System.",
    "print", "Utilities for dealing with printing.",
    "printing", "Utilities for dealing with printing.",
    "programming", "Software development utilities and libraries.",
    "python", "Software related to the python language.",
    "russian", "Ported software for the Russian market.",
    "security", "System security software.",
    "shells", "Various shells (tcsh, bash, etc).",
    "sysutils", "Various system utilities.",
    "textproc", "Text processing/search utilities.",
    "tcl75", "TCL v7.5 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tcl76", "TCL v7.6 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tcl80", "TCL v8.0 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tcl81", "TCL v8.1 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tk41", "Tk4.1 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tk42", "Tk4.2 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tk80", "Tk8.0 and packages which depend on it.",
    "tk81", "Tk8.1 and packages which depend on it.",
    "troff", "TROFF Text formatting utilities.",
    "utils", "Various user utilities.",
    "utilities", "Various user utilities.",
    "vietnamese", "Ported software for the Vietnamese market.",
    "www", "WEB utilities (browers, HTTP servers, etc).",
    "x11", "X Window System based utilities.",
    "x11-clocks", "X Window System based clocks.",
    "x11-fm", "X Window System based file managers.",
    "x11-fonts", "X Window System fonts.",
    "x11-toolkits", "X Window System based development toolkits.",
    "x11-wm", "X Window System Window Managers.",