Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:31:27 -0700
From:      Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl?= Marmier <raphael@computer-rental.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server reboot while upgrading ports

At 01:17 AM 9/10/03 +0200, Rapha=EBl Marmier wrote:
>heat? Both could be overheating the same way if it is the same hardware in=
=20
>the same room under identical conditions. Try to move one to the fridge=20
>and see if it stop freezing ;)

         Actually, it's rebooting randomly during installs or upgrades=20
only.  It did it once due to spam assassign, but that was a long time=20
back.  I did however encounter something of interest that might give us=20
some insight into this.  Even though I'd periodically have failed builds or=
=20
installs, or even reboots at random during this, I always seemed to get a=20
lot of this one ruby error.  Here's two examples.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkginfo.rb:45: [BUG] rb_gc_mark():=20
unknown data type 0x7(0x8053e04) corrupted object
ruby 1.6.8 (2003-03-26) [i386-freebsd4]

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:336: [BUG] rb_gc_mark(): unknown=
=20
data type 0x7(0x82024dc) corrupted object
ruby 1.6.8 (2003-03-26) [i386-freebsd4]

         I've since done a pkgdb -F to see if that would help and it did=20
find one small error in the database.  So not sure if that fixed it or=20
not.  I am however fully completed with all the upgrades after 5 painful=20
hours, so that's at least good.  That means I shouldn't have to touch this=
=20
for a while longer at which this problem may crop up its ugly head.  I'll=20
keep an eye on it and report anything new I find.  I don't expect this to=20
be easy to solve.  But we'll keep looking for clues.

         Speaking of clues, is there a way to log everything that goes on=20
in a TTY session?  I've noticed that when this thing crashes it prints=20
something to the screen (I can't see it cause I'm away at another desk when=
=20
it does it) about the crash and a reboot in 15 seconds but I'm never fast=20
enough over there to catch it.  I want to try and catch that in a file if=20
possible so I better know what's wrong with this thing.  I'm sure it has=20
something to do with adding a switch to the logging system, but I can't=20
find where to add the switch and which one would do it.  Any input would be=
=20
welcome.  Thanks.