Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:09:11 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interrupt latency and driver locking

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 09:48:20AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> > Note that the fxp driver holds its driver lock for an average 112 us in one
> > spot.  This turns out to be in fxp_tick and the likely culprit is the call
> > to mii_tick which is done with the lock held.
>
> Agreed.  The MII calls usually have lots of DELAY() calls in them.
>
> > I'm not sure if it's simple to move MII operations outside of the driver
> > lock but it might be worth investigating.
>
> It seems like it ought to be possible to at least lock at a finer
> grain for those calls.  The driver lock is held because the MII

the main problem, as i see it, is that when there are PHY events you
still need to do some expensive work while holding a lock that
blocks interrupts, with very bad impact on the worst-case
response of the system.

One option in these cases could be to do the following:
 1. disable the offending device while doing the expensive work
    (e.g. reconfigure the PHY);
 2. acquire a different lock (lock2) on the device;
 3. release the lock that prevents (other) interrupts to be delivered
 4. do the thing, hoever long it takes
 5. re-enable the device
 6. release the lock2

this would work fine for PHY events because the interface is
presumably not in a state to process traffic anyways, so disabling
it should have no bad side effects;
maybe other drivers (e.g. parallel ports, or devices where you have
to do bit-banging to move data without too many timing constraints)
could use a similar approach.

	cheers
	luigi