Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:46:47 +0000
From:      Jonathan Anderson <jonathan@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for new graphics card?

Hello -x11@,

I'm currently running 10.0-BETA1 with an Intel 82Q35 integrated graphics
chipset. I'm pleased as punch that everything seems to "just work", but
this hardware won't drive the 2560x1440 display that I've got my eye on.
I went looking for information about cards supported by FreeBSD, and I
found our wiki to be a little... confusing.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xorg#Working_Graphics_Cards seems to claim that
xorg-server 1.7.7 is only tested with the Virtualbox "device", not
Intel, AMD/ATI or nVidia.

According to https://wiki.freebsd.org/AMD_GPU, the RV630 is the only
chipset not known to not work (not quite the same as "known to work"),
which corresponds to... the Radeon HD 2600 (six years old)?

https://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests says that "Nvidia
currently supports the FreeBSD/i386 platform", but this information is
from 2010, and my understanding is that things change quickly in the
graphics driver space.

So... is there such a thing as a graphics card I can buy today that will
"just work" with FreeBSD 10 and/or -CURRENT?

Jon
--
Jonathan Anderson
jonathan@FreeBSD.org