Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 15:09:50 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect Office2000 for Linux--Installable?

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 01:46:51PM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:

> Yes, I realized that about 2 minutes after I sent the email when I
> decided to install WP8 myself.  I am thinking that if WP8 for linux
> can install, you can get WP2000 to install, ...

You can not really make that jump from WP8 to WP2000. The reason I
say that is because WP8 is a Linux binary and WP2000 is actually the
Windows version with the necessary version of WINE included to run it
on Linux. Note that the version of WINE that Corel uses is their own
development branch so just installing the FreeBSD WINE port will not get
you any further. Somewhere on Corel's Web site I read that the changes
they [Corel] were making to WINE were not being incorporated into the
WINE project fast enough so they decided to ship their own modified
version. Smells like market pressure to me.

I have not played with any version of WINE in a very long time but my
understanding was that it does not run as well on FreeBSD as it does on
Linux. Perhaps Corel's version would run better?

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@bayouhome.net