Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:54:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jbarker1842@my-dejanews.com
Subject:   Re: sendmail losing mail

>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:33:40 -0700
>From: "Jim Barker" <jbarker1842@my-dejanews.com>

>I have a small problem with not knowing where mail that sendmail is getting from fetchmail is going.  I finally got fetchmail to retrieve mail from my POP3 host and redirecting it to port 25 on localhost.  Now I don't know where it goes from there.  It doesn't seem to be in the user's directory.  A little background:

You might want to check the /var/log/maillog file on the machine where
sendmail is running; that should tell you the disposition of each mail
message.

>        VERSIONID(`lunchbox.ibm.net.mc version 1.0')
>        OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
>        FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
>        MAILER(local)dnl
>        MAILER(smtp)dnl
>        Cwlocalhost
>        Cwlunchbox.ibm.net
>        MASQUERADE_AS(`ibm.net')dnl
>        FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
>        FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
>        FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
>        FEATURE(nodns)dnl
>        define(SMART_HOST, `smtp-gw01.ny.us.ibm.net')
>        Dmlunchbox.ibm.net
>        define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`lunchbox.ibm.net')dnl
>        define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`deferred')dnl

>this mc file is how it is reccomended on the FreeBSD FAQ concerning mail and dialup account's.

I'd recommend putting the MAILER specifications last.

It's not clear (to me) why such things as "Cw" & "Dm" lines are being
put in the .mc file; I'd expect the domain ("Dm") to have been defined
in your /etc/resolv.conf, and the "Cw" entries to have been placed in
/etc/sendmail.cw.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621