Date:      Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:50:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: cred stuff..

On 09-Feb-02 Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>> John, (peter? others?)
>>
>> How is it that getting a ucred reference is guarded by PROC_LOCK(p)
>> but freeing it is guarded by mtx_lock(&Giant);
>> ?
>>
>> Call me naive, but shouldn't they be guarded by the same thing?
>
> In fact, if we had good atomic reference counting primatives,
> couldn't we just forget the locks entirely for this?

We had a long bikeshed about that a while back but people complained that
refcount_t wasn't generic enough, although it is well-suited to this specific
instance.  We can always come back and optimize the ucred mutex later, but
there are really more important things to be doing at this point. :)

It works for now, Giant is a much bigger problem that the ucred mutex.