Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 15:48:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sun, 15 February 1998 at 11:26:12 -0800, Alex wrote:

> >> This ties in with just about every report I've heard about Linux,
> >> though I have no personal experience in the area.  I also find it hard
> >> to believe that Linux should be able to beat Solaris 2 in this area.
> >
> > Heh.  Try using Solaris x86 sometime.  It's about on par with Windows NT
> > obscurity and performance wise.
>
> OK, I was thinking of Solaris 2 on the Sparc.  But I still would have
> difficulty believing that claim too.

I'd almost be willing to part with my Solaris x86 CDs, if they didn't make
such good coasters, but Sol x86 is as bad as anything you've heard.  The
only possible exception is the SMP handling, which I've heard is quite
good, seeing as how I have 1 cpu system, I haven't been able to test that.

- alex

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.