Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:30:08 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        David Daugherty <davidd@datasphereweb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer setup

Hi David,

> My question is can I put 2 if: in my /etc/printcap? Currently
> /etc/printcap is:
> Photosmart|Photosmart P1000 Photo Printer:\
>         :sh:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/Photosmart:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpr/hpif:
>
> I didn't see anyting in man printcap about using 2 if=

uh, why would you want '2' "if=" commands? Are you trying to force the
last page out with a 'form-feed'?

If so, have a closer look at the commands in the sample 'if' file, I
would guess that you have a numeral '1' where a lowercase 'l' should be
in the escape sequences. Perhaps it might be 'better' if you post your
file /usr/local/libexec/lpr/hpif ?

Also, in your printcap, do you have "another" printer attached to the
machine? I.e. the 'default' printer "lp" - what is that pointing to? If
there is no 'lp' printer, can I suggest prepending "lp|" before the
lines starting "Photosmart|Photo..." ? this will have the effect of you
not needing to specify the printer by that rather long name of
"Photosmart" - also, can I suggest "photosmart" as a name (all
lowercase)?

hth,

haxxa