Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2016 16:42:33 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update <bleep>

On Dec 8, 2016, at 4:13 PM, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> Basic symptom:
>=20
>    #  /usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch
>    Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.
>    Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-STABLE from =
update.FreeBSD.org... failed.
>    No mirrors remaining, giving up.

I had this problem a while ago.  In my case, it turned out that my =
upstream DNS was filtering out SRV requests, which breaks freebsd-update =
mirror handling.  My upstream DNS was via an OpenWRT box.  According to =
their documentation (https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/dhcp.dnsmasq) in =
the "SIP-Phones and dnsmasq" section they say, "By default, the option =
filterwin2k in dnsmasq is activated, which seems to cause to block =
queries for SRV records."  True enough, disabling "filterwin2k" in =
/etc/config/dhcp "fixed" my problem.

I don't know if this is related to your problem, but in my case I wasn't =
getting *any* SRV records returned for _http._tcp.update.FreeBSD.org... =
:-(

I believe freebsd-update falls back to a standard server if no mirrors =
can be enumerated, but this server tends to get overloaded when security =
advisories come out (at least that was my experience when I had the SRV =
records problem) and so freebsd-update can fail.

Cheers,

Paul.=