Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:35:35 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Innacurate statements in handbook about buildkernel

[ reformatted for readability ]

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:53 -0400, Eric Ogren wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 08:27:31PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> >
> > We've also created a situation where space-limited folks
> > =can't= update just kernel sources.
>

> This has always been the case, hasn't it? Although the modules
> + kernel out of sync problem should've been dealt with by the
> new make knobs, we still don't support people just upgrading
> their kernel without upgrading their userland.
>
> Or am I wrong?

Not that I'm to be taken as a reference, but is there any point
in doing so?  Since there's an interface between the kernel and
userland and there are quite a few essential userland tools being
tied(sp?) to the kernel very closely, updating only one of the
two affected parts will very likely cause grief.  One shouldn't
support such behaviour. :)

usual disclaimer:  There might be people out there knowing
better, but they're able to help themselves and know what to do
when encountering errors. :>  Updating sources and building
kernels or worlds one is expected to learn a little and think,
anyway ...

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net