Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2008 12:27:08 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evolution crawls on FreeBSD

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Roy Marles <roy@marples.name> (from Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:42:47
> +0000):
>
>> On Sunday 02 March 2008 23:12:37 Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
>>> Indeed, a casual inspection of libexec/rtdl-elf/rtld.c shows that the
>>> SO_NEEDED lists (Obj_Entry.needed) are walked recursively. Removing
>>> the useless entries might therefore have a dramatic impact on
>>> performance.
>>
>> One thing that may help here is allowing the use of cutsom LDFLAGS -
>> namely -Wl,--as-needed. This removes SO_NEEDED references when the
>> library
>> really isn't needed. For a more indepth discussion on the benefits of
>> this,
>
> This sounds really interesting! We would have to check which compiler
> versions understand this flag. And it is a nin-intrusive change to the
> autotools chain. And making ports honor LDFLAGS (like they do with
> CFLAGS) is a good ideas IMO.
>
>> read this article [1]. I had a quick look at ports, but it doesn't
>> seem to
>> honor LDFLAGS in any port. Sadly most of the world needs to be
>> compiled with
>> this LDFLAG for it to really work, so I didn't look much futher.
>> FreeBSD base
>> system compiles fine with it though :)
>
> Oh, if the gnome maintained ports would honor LDFLAGS, it would already
> be a big deal (and probably solve the issue with evolution).

All GNOME ports honor LDFLAGS.  We pass custom LDFLAGS via CONFIGURE_ENV
to every port (i.e. to add -L${LOCALBASE}/lib).  This would be trivial
to test.  As for the linker patch, I see the same slowish startup on 7.X
and 8.X, so I do not think it will help.  That said, if you are using
the FBSD linker in G/FBSD, and you're not seeing this problem, there
must be something else that's keep Evo in the linker for so long.  Thus
far, I haven't heard any default Gentoo option that may account for
this.  Perhaps you have some other libtool patches or other custom
patches not in any version of FBSD...?

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke