Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:54:04 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ???

> our wishes are necessarily mutually exclusive, either.  I think that
> -current can be good enough for *everyone* with just a little more
> effort being exerted.
Jordan, I think that all the people involved are as cautious as they
can be, I don't think you will ever see a more stable -current.

If people want to be on a child-proof bleeding edge, they got bigger
problems than -current.

>                        I do not speak as one who's hands are free of
> blood, either.  I've certainly spammed -current few enough times, but
> I've also seen -current a lot less scary than it is right now.
Jordan, I don't think that -current has been as stable as it is now
at any period I can ever remember, unless somebody had swung the
titanium release-sword low over the heads of committeres for a long
period of time.

>                                                                 Maybe
> we could try to stagger these changes in a somewhat more coordinated
> fashion?  Maybe we could even just go around the table once in -core
> and post a "what I'm up to and expect to be committing over the next 3
> months" sort of thing? :-)
I think -core isn't enough for that.

But anyway, here goes:  I intend to continue to isolate the scope of
variables as far as I can get it.  This may from time to time make
a custom kernel uncompilable, as my test-set is GENERIC and LINT.

I would also like to point out that we need a lot of user-space
hackers too, so if people can't run -current on their box, there is
still plenty of challenging tasks to jump on.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.